4pm Monday 15 August 2022
Large waves and strong winds warning in place.
Large waves and strong wind conditions are expected for the Southern Cook Islands mid-week increasing from Tuesday evening, peaking on Wednesday evening but persisting throughout Thursday.
Please find attached further information from the Cook Islands Government Emergency Management Department and further detailed information can be found at the following web site:
It is caused by a high-pressure system coming across the island in the next couple of days. This will bring enhanced South-Easterly winds and swells up to 4.5 metres in the Southeast part of Rarotonga.
The key times of concern will be during the high tide periods which are;
- Wednesday 12.30am – 2.30am, 12.30pm – 2.30pm
- Thursday 1.00am – 3.00am and 1.00pm – 3.00pm
The rooms listed below may possibly be affected by the high seas, particularly on Wednesday night. This assessment is based on the last sea surge event last month. It is important to note that this last event was driven by a King Tide which is not the case this time.
Please note that this is not a tsunami, which can generate massive waves, but rather an issue of sea surge where at the maximum, the water level near the downstairs beachfront rooms might be several hundred centimeters high and most probably less.
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium
Sanctuary Rarotonga – on the beach
Although this the swells are expected to be at it’s highest on the South-East side of the island between Muri and Titikaveka, we at The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium and Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach are taking sensible precautions in preparation.
Therefore, we are carefully monitoring all available information but most particularly the beach and lagoon conditions directly in front of us.
We will also be setting up emergency shelters in communal, dormitory style in the upstairs Guest Lounges in the event guests are required to evacuate their rooms or would feel more comfortable being much higher up and away from the beach on Tuesday / Wednesday night and / or Wednesday / Thursday night.
Guest and staff safety is our primary concern, and we will be making decisions on this basis accordingly. We thank you for your cooperation.
Please do follow the instructions of our staff as well as those of the local authorities such as the Cook Islands Police, Emergency Management Cook Islands personnel etc.
Please contact our friendly staff at the reception desk if you have any queries or require assistance.
Thursday 04 August 2022
Kia Orana & Welcome!
We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us. Please enjoy your Resort’s extensive range of facilities and amenities as well as the island’s best snorkeling in the famed Aroa Lagoonarium directly in front of the Resort.
For guests not staying with us, please note:
- Walk-in Room Reservations can be made at Reception
- Restaurant & Bar Reservations, subject to overall Resort occupancy:
- 7:00am - 5:30pm, reservations not required
- 5:30pm - 9:00pm, reservations required
- Groups of 10+, 24 hours’ notice required
- For reservations, please call 25-800 ext. 8017 or email email@example.com·
- Guests are welcome to use the Pool whilst dining, 7:00am - 5:30pm
- All other Resort facilities and amenities are open to in-house guests only, including the spa, beach sun loungers, snorkeling gear, kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, activities hut & programme, gym, tennis courts, games room, kids club, guest lounge etc.
- A guided tour of the Resort leaves at 3pm Monday to Friday from Reception at The Rarotongan showcasing all facilities and amenities as well as available rooms, suites and villas. Reservations not required.
- Our friendly staff and management will be delighted to provide you with further information or assistance.
Monday 01 August 2022
The following sets out the completion dates forecasted for repair work as a result of the recent sea surge.
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium
- Grand Beachfront Suites - two have been completed and the other two are expected to be completed on 15 August.
- Deluxe Beachfront Suites – expected completion date 15 August for all suites but as individual suites are completed, they will be made available for guests.
- Restaurant Lagoon Deck – expected completion 15 August.
This work programme will involve some construction noise, from time to time. However, every effort will be made to reduce the impact of this.
These completion dates will be updated regularly via our website under Notices and on our Facebook page.
Flexible Booking Policy
To accommodate any concerns you may have, we are making available the following flexible terms and conditions for bookings at The Rarotongan and Sanctuary to 15 August 2022.
Please contact Air New Zealand or Jetstar to ascertain their cancellation terms and conditions.
Guests who have a confirmed booking at The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium or Sanctuary Rarotonga – on the beach to 15 August:
Please reconfirm your reservation and flight details immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org including your booking reference number
- Guests will be accommodated at The Rarotongan and Sanctuary Rarotonga, subject to availability. Should this involve a downgrade in room category the difference can be used:
- as a resort credit OR
- the difference refunded.
- Guests can rebook for a future available date at the same rate.
- Guests can credit their reservation at The Rarotongan or Sanctuary to a stay at our sister resort, Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort and only pay the difference in the room rate and Air Rarotonga airfares. This is subject to availability.
- Should guests be booked and now wish to cancel, they can do so without penalty i.e., a full refund and rebook with an alternative resort.
If you require further information, please:
Follow our Notices on our website or Facebook Page
Contact us on
AU 1800 272 768
NZ 0800 727 686
USA (883) 801 3162
UK 0800 710 1505
- Phone: +682 25800
- Email: email@example.com
- Skype: trbr.reservations
- Live Chat on our website
We look forward to welcoming you to The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium and Sanctuary Rarotonga – on the beach for your enjoyable tropical island holiday.
THE COOK ISLANDS BORDERS ARE OPEN TO THE WORLD!
A WARM WELCOME AWAITS YOU!
CLICK HERE to view the Cook Islands Government COVID-19 Official Website Page
Quarantine-free travel to the Cook Islands is open to all visitors over 16 years old who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Visitors 16 years and under are not required to be vaccinated to enter the Cook Islands.
As of 1 May 2022, visitors to the Cook Islands are not required to have a RAT or PCR test prior to departure for Rarotonga.
From 1 April 2022 the CookSafe QR card contact tracing system will be going into hibernation. People will thus no longer be required to tag into shops, cafes, restaurants, hotels etc.
Fully vaccinated Australian citizens and permanent residents can enter New Zealand without isolating from 11:59pm 12 April 2022. The Cook Islands entry requirements are harmonized with those of New Zealand, therefore fully vaccinated Australian travellers can travel to the Cook Islands from 11.59pm on 12 April 2022 too!
Visitors from visa-waiver countries such as the United States, Canada, UK and a number of European countries will be able to arrive to both New Zealand and the Cook Islands from 11.59pm on 1 May 2022. Others who already hold visas will be able to travel without isolation from 1 May 2022 too.
Our Covid-19 Safety settings adjust in line with the Cook Islands and New Zealand Government Alert Levels, guidelines, and mandates. The Cook Islands Ministry of Health and the New Zealand Ministry of Health coordinate their COVID-19 response.
All our staff are fully vaccinated.
In addition, your cooperation with the following additional precautions will be appreciated:
- Checking in electronically via mobile phone or iPad
- Reviewing your room account electronically
- Checking out electronically
- Utilizing electronic door locking where available.
- Accessing menus via QR codes or digital display units.
- Collecting food orders from the kitchen when notified by buzzer.
If you feel sick, please stay in your room, and immediately contact Reception by dialling 5000. We will organize a Rapid Antigen Test for you and liaise with the Cook Islands Ministry of Health for any necessary medical assistance.
Requirements for Travel from Rarotonga to Aitutaki
For those guests that booked on non-refundable rates prior to the border closure on 27 March 2020, regardless of your planned travel dates, we are pleased to offer the following special additional considerations, without penalty or change fee and subject to availability:
- You can change your dates of travel up until 31 March 2023: or
- You can transfer your booking to another person. This name change must be advised in writing to the Resort no later than 30 days prior to intended travel.
If you have any questions about your current or future booking, please contact us as follows.
The Rarotongan Beach Resort or Sanctuary Rarotonga.
Telephone: +(682) 25-800
Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort.
Telephone: +(682) 31-200