The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium is the Cook Islands’ signature resort and is sister resort to directly adjacent boutique adults-only resort, Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach, and the only private island resort in the Cook Islands, beautiful adults-only Aitutaki Lagoon Private Island Resort.
WHAT WE ARE
We firmly believe that we can best meet your expectations of your stay with us, if the expectations of your experience are well aligned with what we offer.
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium
- ICONIC. As one of the Cooks’ most established, leading resorts with a high international profile, The Rarotongan is the Cook Islands’ signature resort.
- BEST SNORKELLING. Set directly on Aroa Lagoonarium Marine Sanctuary and Aroa Beach, The Rarotongan offers the best white sandy beach location on the island, along with the best off-beach, all-tide snorkeling in a marine sanctuary on Rarotonga.
- SECLUDED. As The Rarotongan and adjacent sister resort, Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach, are the only resorts on Aroa Beach, our resort guests can enjoy our secluded beach in relative privacy, not having to share the beach as we are not set alongside a long line of hotels.
- WIDE SELECTION OF ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS. The Rarotongan offers a wide range of room, suite, bungalow, and villa options from one to four bedroom options to suit all types of holidaymakers, from couples through to extended family groups as well as leisure and conference groups. Microwaves are included in all room categories but you can also choose options with a kitchenette, full kitchen, private pool, private spa and/or private games room.
- WATERFRONT DINING. Complete with the beautiful new extension to our popular Captain Andy’s Beach Bar & Grill, The Rarotongan offers the best lagoon front dining on the water on the island, directly overlooking sparkling blue Aroa Lagoon.
- SUNSETS. Due to being located on the southwest side of Rarotonga, The Rarotongan is blessed to enjoy all-day sun and sizzling sunsets, great for those sundown drinks on the lagoon deck (and sunset beach wedding shots too).
- POOLSIDE DINING. The Rarotongan’s swimming pool is located both next to the beach, and right alongside Captain Andy’s Beach Bar & Grill, enabling guests to enjoy poolside dining beside the attractive large swimming pool with lovely waterfall.
- FREE ACTIVITIES. Guests of The Rarotongan enjoy free stand-up paddle boarding, kayaking and snorkeling in all-tide Aroa Lagoonarium, as well as tennis, gym, and a daily Activities Programme
- FAMILY-FRIENDLY. Families enjoy The Rarotongan’s sheltered beach and lagoon location and extensive facilities, especially the famous FREE Moko Kids Club for children aged 4-11 years inclusive. The Rarotongan is famous for being family friendly.
- PERFECT FOR WEDDINGS. With a prime location on Aroa Beach beside the Lagoon of Love, right on the sunset coast, The Rarotongan is perfect for tropical island beach weddings from 20 to 80 guests. The Resort’s variety of venues is unrivalled, including Treetops Verandah Room for beautiful wedding receptions with delicious catering, and Latitude 21-30, the only soundproof private nightclub on the island enabling the after-party to continue to midnight.
- IDEAL FOR CONFERENCES. Conference and incentive groups enjoy an unbeatable range of venues and facilities including Arataki Boardroom, Treetops for conferencing or functions, and Latitude 2130 for break-out meetings. Guests staying at Sanctuary can also access conferencing venues at The Rarotongan.
- NEXT TO ADULTS-ONLY RESORT. With The Rarotongan being located right next to boutique adults-only sister resort, Sanctuary Rarotonga, groups with a mix of families and couples have the ideal resorts to suit both styles of traveler, conveniently located right next door.
- 24/7 RECEPTION, GIFT SHOP & ONSITE SECURITY. The Rarotongan team is available 24/7 to provide peace of mind and maximum convenience on your tropical holiday.
- A FAVOURITE OF RETURN GUESTS. The Rarotongan is a firm island holiday favourite, the beloved return destination for thousands of our loyal guests many of whom return to us year after year.
- PERFECT SIZE. The Rarotongan is not the island’s largest resort. But it is just the right size to offer all the facilities and services you need for a relaxed beach holiday.
- AUTHENTIC, RELAXED. The Rarotongan is ideal for a traveler who values an authentic, relaxed Cook Islands experience, right on one of the best beach and lagoon locations on Earth.
WHAT WE ARE NOT
Our aim is always to please. And in our experience, the best way to achieve your satisfaction is to ensure that your expectations are in line with what we have to offer you. We have three beautiful sister resorts which each offer something special and unique. Unique from other resorts in the Cook Islands. And unique from other resorts anywhere in the world. To ensure that you book the sister resort, which is best for you, we believe you might find it helpful to be clear not just on who we are, but also who we are not:
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium
- THE COOK ISLANDS IS NOT A PLACE FOR SNAP YOUR FINGERS SERVICE. We are not a resort in the Third World with hundreds of staff on hand. Our team are friendly and happy to be of service to ensure you enjoy your holiday with us.
- NO BUILDING TALLER THAN A COCONUT TREE. We are not a resort that is more than two stories high. Many of our suites, as well as our bungalow and villas, are on beach level.
- NOT A MEGA RESORT. We are not a large, multi-level resort with hundreds of rooms. We have a little over a hundred rooms, suites, bungalow & private pool villa options, enabling us to offer you the range of facilities & services expected of a signature resort, such as our restaurant, bar, pool, Kids Club, Activities Hut, SpaPolynesia, conference & function facilities, room service, 24-hour front desk, gift shop and security. Our resort is just the right size. Not too big. Not too small. Just right.
- NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A HOTEL STRIP. We are not on the main hotel strips with multiple resorts cheek by jowl, all sharing the same beach. The Rarotongan is set right next door to our adults-only sister resort, Sanctuary Rarotonga, and together they are the only resorts set on Rarotonga’s best white sandy beach, Aroa Beach, overlooking the island’s best snorkeling spot, Aroa Lagoonarium.
- NOT TOO WINDY. We are not a resort set on the sunrise side of the island which also tends to get the Trade Winds. The Rarotongan instead enjoys all-day sun right through to views of the sizzling island sunsets which you can enjoydirectly from the new lagoon front deck of our Captain Andy’s Beach Bar & Grill, the best dining spot on the island.
- NOT AN UNSWIMMABLE BEACH. We are not a resort set on a stretch of rough-coral beach with a lagoon too tidal, shallow, murky, or rocky to swim in. Not only is The Rarotongan blessed to be set right along the island’s best beach, but directly off the beach is the island’s best all-tide snorkeling in Aroa Lagoonarium. Like snorkeling in your own aquarium filled with brightly coloured tropical fish. Then there’s the free stand-up paddle-boarding and kayaking you can do too, at any tide.
- NO OVER-INFLATED PRICING. We are not a resort which marks rates up to give travel agents big commissions to win your booking. We offer reasonable, fair pricing.
- NOT EXCLUSIVELY A FAMILY RESORT. We are not an Adults Only Resort or a Family Resort. We cater well to a broad range of guests of all ages with a wide range of room category and pricing options and are famous for being family-friendly but are not just a family resort.
- NOT NICHE. We are not a resort focused on a narrow market segment. We welcome wedding couples, honeymoon couples, small and large families and a wide range of groups including conference, sports, school, and special event groups.
- NO CLOCK WATCHING. We are not a resort for clock watchers. Come here when you need to chillax and leave your shoes, your cares, and your watch behind.
- NOT INFLEXIBLE. With the current Covid situation, we have relaxed our cancellation terms & conditions and the ability to change your travel dates, without fees or penalty charges, which offers our guests incredible peace of mind and encouragement to pursue their travel dreams. We advise guests to take out travel insurance as part of being a wise traveller.
- NOT A MAIN URBAN AREA. We are not in the middle of a large country with easy access to a wide range of supplies. We are on a remote island in the middle of the vast Pacific Ocean where there can be limited availability of supplies, from time to time, due to shipping constraints. This is all part of life on an island in the heart of the South Pacific.